- HUFFINGTON POST:The 3 Core Needs: Satisfy Them and You'll be Happy (Nov. 15, 2010)
- PBS MEDIASHIFT:Can Social Sharing Survive the Rise of Rewards-Based Campaigns (Nov. 8, 2010)
- HUFFINGTON POST:Don't Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Problem With Being Cool (Oct. 13, 2010)
- NOW AVAILABLE:Photos & Full Conference Program from the 4th International SDT Conference
- CONFERENCE PRESS RELEASE: What Drives Us? Rochester Model of Human Motivation Attracts Growing Affirmation (June 2010)
- SPORT PSYCH CONF: Join SDT Faculty (Biddle, Chatzisarantis, Duda, & Ntoumanis) @ the 11th Nat'l Conference on Sport Psychology Nov. 4-7 in Trikala Greece
- ROCHESTER REVIEW: Self-Determined: What motivates you? Two Rochester experimental psychologists are challenging some cherished assumptions (Aug. 2010)
- LA TIMES: Busy bodies, happy minds (Sept. 20, 2010)
- SCIENCE WATCH INTERVIEW:Richard Ryan on the Many Applications of Self-Determination Theory (Aug. 2010)
- HUFFINGTON POST:Who Is Driving Your Health and Wellness? (July 7, 2010)
- SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN: Nature Boosts Self-Evaluation of Vitality (June 8, 2010)
- RESEARCH STUDY: "When helping helps": SDT study shows mutual benefits for helper and recipient. Published in the February 2010 issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology
- WALL STREET JOURNAL:More Than a Paycheck Workers are more efficient, loyal and creative when they feel a sense of purpose—when work has meaning (Feb. 5, 2010)
- EVENT: Motivation in Education Research Laboratory at the National Institute of Education in Singapore held inaugural seminar on motivation in education on January 19th with invited talks from Rich Ryan and Ed Deci on ‘Nurturing the Active Learner.’ Click here to download the slides
- STRAITS TIMES: Freedom expands learning: Letting them take charge, bonding with them will motivate them (Jan. 20, 2010)
- RESEARCH STUDY:"'Weekend Effect' Makes People Happier Regardless of Their Job" concludes SDT study to be published in the January 2010 issue of the Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology
- LOS ANGELES TIMES:Researchers say it's official: TGIF, baby! (Jan. 15, 2010)
- RESEARCH STUDY:"Nature Makes Us More Caring" -- Paying attention to the natural world not only makes you feel better, it makes you behave better, finds a new SDT study to be published October 1 in the Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin
- AMERICAN SCIENTIST: The Moral Call of the Wild (Dec. 1, 2009)
- NEW YORK TIMES: When a Parent's 'I Love You' Means 'Do as I Say ' (Sept 14, 2009)
- ANOTHER SPECIAL ISSUE:“SDT, Physical Activity, and Well-Being” headlines the latest Hellenic Journal of Psychology
- SPECIAL ISSUE: SDT articles featured in Theory and Research in Education's July 2009 special issue. We are pleased to see such a spectacular lineup!
- SPECIAL ISSUE: Gagné and Deci's 2005 article, "Self-determination theory and work motivation," appeared in the Journal of Organizational Behavior's 30th anniversary edition as one of the 8 most influential articles published in JOB since its founding in 1980
- SPECIAL ISSUE: SDT articles featured in Theory and Research in Education's July 2009 special issue.
- RESEARCH STUDY: It’s commencement time, and SDT researchers say those valedictory speeches about how success isn’t measured in riches are more than mere platitudes. As this ScienCentral News video explains, they’ve found new evidence that “American Dream” achievements like wealth, fame and image are not the keys to happiness. This research will be published in the Journal of Research in Personality in June 2009
- RESEARCH STUDY:“Players Love the Game Not the Gore - Psychology Study Shows That Violence Does Not Motivate Video Game Players.” Study conducted by SDT investigators at the University of Rochester and Immersyve Inc. and published in the January issue of Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
And if you have news you would like share, please contact us.